Rev. Jean Ward
Jean Ward is a transplanted Mari-timer from Pictou County, Nova Scotia. She is the oldest of eight children and married to Rev. Nigel Weaver. Together they have five children and 9 grandchildren. Jean was ordained by Maritime Conference in 1979 and has served congregations in Manitoba, Toronto, Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia. She also served at General Council Office for 15 years in two portfolios – first in Family Ministries and Sexuality and later in Urban Ministries and Evangelism.
She is a story teller, walker, reader, a searcher of the holy in the ordinary, a lover of cats, a people watcher and Follower of the Way.
Volunteering is at the core of our culture at Glebe. Our many activities include:
- Serving meals at the "Out of the Cold" program
- Monthly letter writing with Amnesty International
- Monthly drives for clothing and other essentials for the homeless
- Ongoing participation in a food bank
In the photo shown, some of our members are participating in local park clean-up with city counsellor Josh Matlow. Why not join us? We make it a point to participate in the causes that our members have interest in and passion for.
The history of the church building dates back to the Davisville Methodist Church which celebrated its first worship service in a log cabin on the first Sunday in April 1851.
Soon after that first log cabin was too small, and in 1860 the congregation built a school house, where the first worship services and Sunday school took place. Already in 1865 the congregation needed more space and built a meeting place for about 120 people. The congregation continued to grow and in October of 1886 broke ground for the first church building, where the first worship service was celebrated on the second Sunday in January of 1887.
The cornerstone for today's church building was laid in December 1924; the official opening of this church was on November 1, 1925. In 1929 a pipe organ was added to the church. And in 1946 the congregation decided to build an addition. Construction did not start until 1958, and the grand opening of the “James Carson Taylor Memorial Community Centre” was celebrated on January 10, 1960.